I always try to be as clear as possible when explaining things. But anyone who has ever known me, especially those of you that have worked with me, know that I tend to make absolutely no sense to anyone but myself. I think out loud and talk in circles. I understand, interpret and do things completely different than most others and for this reason I explain things kind of backwards.
In high school, I was properly taught how to hit a tennis ball, both forehand and backhand. However, I took away from it all what I needed and concocted my own, rather odd looking way of hitting a backhand. Yeah, it looked strange but it worked for me! It wasn't perfect (as defined by most) form, but it got the job done. It wasn't the way it's always been done, but it got done effectively! haha
I have strange ways of doing large, complex math problems in my head. But it works. I write my 8's weird. But it works! I do cartwheels and spins on roller skates like a left-handed person. Well, I should say I USED TO do cartwheels and spins on roller skates! LOL
I'm a little...odd. Quirky. Strange. Unique. I like it! :)
But, in all my quirkiness, I choose my words carefully. Like anyone, I slip up occasionally. I am, after all, only human. But it irritates me when people skip over words, only seeing and taking from it what they want. For example, if I say "A more willing and capable staff would have made it easier", I am not saying the staff was incapable. The operative word there is MORE. The staff was somewhat willing and quite capable in many regards. But to be MORE willing, not hitting so many speed bumps and objections to change, certainly would make anything easier! And a MORE capable staff certainly would have saved time. In addition to the wording, one must take into account personal factors. What *I* consider capable may be quite a bit different than what *YOU* do, ya know?
This is just ONE example of misinterpretation. Now, I tend to be VERY literal. I read every word and take each into consideration when developing understanding of the writing. I've talked about this before and my inability to read and understand the Bible without it being spoon-fed to me. lol. So, if you write in metaphors, expect to lose me. I won't get it! haha
I need to remind myself that not everyone else is like me. Not everyone will indeed read every word of my blabberings (or anything for that matter) and take from it what I put in it. Not everyone thinks about every word used, it's meaning, it's purpose, etc. I need to remind myself that meaning can and will be lost in transmission from my typing/posting to your reading and interpreting. (Have I mentioned yet how much I LOVE that the Firefox browser has a built-in spell check!!!?! lol).
Where the problem comes in is when people jump to conclusions. My reading and understanding things literally may not be how you intended. So I try to see things from different perspectives. I try. I'm working on it. On the other hand, other people don't read into my (and other) writings ENOUGH so they get a different message and run with it without getting that other perspective.
Ok, enough of this random blabbering.. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment