Monday, February 04, 2013

Facebook Free February

I've created and implemented Facebook-Free February. The night of January 31, 2013 I said "see you in March!" and removed the following apps from my phone: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.
I realized I forgot to upload some cheer videos and update the cheer calendar for the group but that's okay.

Now here we are, dawn of day four, and it's been eye-opening. I've had several "I should post that on Facebook" moments then quickly questioned "who really cares?". So much of what I feel compelled to share, what I've been sharing with the world for years, is pointless. Is my comment about the Superbowl blackout necessary? Is it crucial for the world to know my every thought at every moment? Is it worth my time and energy to post my most intimate thoughts to a "public" (my Facebook settings are locked down tight but you never know...) forum? Not really.

And the time wasted involved in everyone else's lives is time lost involved in my own. Don't get me wrong, I like every one of my Facebook friends but honestly, if not for Facebook, I wouldn't be nearly as involved in your life...or you in mine. I'd call the ones I really needed to, send Christmas cards, maybe exchange some emails to catch up with each other...but scrolling through a news feed about everyone's diet craze, sick children, funny images, quotes, advertisements, hair cuts, style choices, stress, work, life, etc....all the garbage I used to post...it's a waste of everyone's time. It's hours lost making memories with my living, breathing, standing-right-in-front-of-me family.

Only four days in and it's already been enlightening. 24 more days and I can't wait to see what else I will learn on the journey of Facebook withdrawal.

Now, stop reading this nonsense and go enjoy your REAL life!

No comments: