Wednesday, January 01, 2014

My 2014 Mantra

"We must gain victory, not by assaulting the walls, but by accepting them. Only when this surrender is made can we assure ourselves of inward quietness, and locate the net step on the road to ultimate victory." James Gordon Gilkey

No resolutions. No goals. No checklists. 
Just a mantra of three simple words. Three C's. 

Content.  
Clean. 
Confident.  

Content. 
Not settling or giving up, but simply being happy and satisfied with all I am and all I have...being grateful.
I have spent so much time wanting more, planning for my next step, the next best move, strategizing, and trying to predict the actions of all the moving pieces. I have WASTED a lot of energy on things I can't and won't control. I've taken on projects and tasks, or wasted time on Facebook and games...on things that have no return on the investment of my time. 
So, this year, being content is part of my mantra. Be happy. Be grateful. Live in and enjoy each moment while the moment exists. Stop spending so much time and energy trying to manipulate or predict the future. Choose where to invest my time more wisely. Make time for what is important to me and best aligns with my priorities. 
I don't intend to stop dreaming or working toward growth, just turning it down a notch and enjoying the ride. 
Que sera, sera. 
Whatever will be, will be. 
And I am perfectly okay with that. 

Clean (& organized)
Food. Home. Work. Schedule. Heart. Health. 
My little man (in my head) (if this is new to you, I'll explain later...or maybe I've blogged about it before?) is a psychotic OCD organized freak. You wouldn't know that by looking at various aspects of my life. Haha. It drives my BANANAS! So, I'll be working to clean up and organize some of the most frustrating areas. 
Clean and healthy eating. Cooking at home - not eating out. Packing lunches. Meal planning. Organized kitchen and pantry. 
Clean and healthy home. Natural cleaning and beauty supplies. Regularly scheduled cleaning and chores. Doing better to keep the house picked up. Making the bed every morning (we are slackers!). De-cluttering. Donating unwanted/unused items. 
Clean and organized workspace. My desk is a mess. My files are a mess. My priorities are a mess. I'm a project juggling, task jumping, people pleasing mess. I must clean, organize and de-clutter my workspace. 
Clean and organize our schedule. Well, establish some. Workout, cleaning, laundry, school...need to block out time for important tasks. 
Maintain a clean heart, a clear conscience. I already try to do right by people, be respectful, polite and honest. I always give my all and do my best. I try to end each day being able to sleep peacefully at night. But I'd like to do more to make my heart smile - volunteer work, donations, participate in school events/activities, help others, etc. 
All if this falls into health and wellness. Clean, happy, healthy and organized!

Confident
Not just confidence but also trust...in myself and others. I'm a control freak but that's not news to anyone who knows me. I need to have confidence in others to handle tasks and understand that, although it may not be done MY way (or the way I'd have done it), it will be okay. My kids, my husband, coworkers, classmates...everyone. 
Additionally, I need to have more confidence and trust in myself. I miss out on great opportunities because I doubt myself and over analyze. I avoid situations based on what I think I know of myself. I need to trust in my knowledge and abilities - both past and future potential - and take the plunge every once in a while. Stop making excuses. Stop being negative. Look for possibilities and opportunities. Stop being afraid of the unknown. 

Content. Clean. Confident. 

Not goals. Not a checklist. Not resolutions. Not promises. 
No requirement to complete anything and nobody to let down. 
As long as I maintain focus on those three words, allow them to guide my decisions, making better use of my 525,600 minutes (it's okay...you can sing it. I did.) in 2014, I cannot fail. 
;-)

No comments: