crunchy
Adjective. Used to describe persons who have adjusted or altered their
lifestyle for environmental reasons. Crunchy persons tend to be politically
strongly left-leaning and may be additionally but not exclusively categorized as
vegetarians, vegans, eco-tarians, conservationists, environmentalists,
neo-hippies, tree huggers, nature enthusiasts, etc.
And another blogger here:
Crunchy-granola at its most general describes a movement to parent
"naturally," or "earthy" parenting. There are many areas of parenting that
can be crunch-i-fied, such as:
- Circumcision (crunchy = no way!)
- Home birth (crunchy = hell yeah!)
- C-section (crunchy = only after 1,000 hours of labor!)
- Pain-medicated birth (crunchy = you better not!)
- Diapers/menstrual pads (crunchy = cloth!)
- Natural Family Planning (crunchy = know your body!)
- Breastfeeding/tandem nursing/child weans itself (crunchy = of course!)
- Co-sleeping with baby (crunchy = move over, hubby, here comes baby!)
- "Wearing" your baby in a sling (crunchy = how better to "attachment
parent"?)- Organic foods/mostly vegetarian diet (crunchy = buy from your local organic
grower!)- Modern medicine (crunchy = herbal remedies, please!)
- Vaccinations (crunchy = turn 'em down at the pediatrician!)
- Home school (crunchy = 1+1 equals 2, Johnny!)
- Positive discipline (crunchy = whoever gives their child a time out deserves
a spanking!)- TV usage (crunchy = turn it off!)
Based on the definition, aside from the vegetarianism, I'm definitely "crunchy". Using the criteria above, I'm only partially "crunchy" when it comes to my parenting.
Circumcision - Not Crunchy. Liam will be circumcised only because it is the norm in this country - not because it is healthier or safer, because it's not. But for his future, to "fit in" with the vast majority of men in the United States, he will be (and because there is no way I would ever ocnvince Josh to NOT circumcise him!).
Homebirth/C-Section/No Pain Meds - Not/Crunchy/Not. Homebirth sounds good, but no thanks. I'd much rather have the safety net of the hospital equipment and personnel should something go wrong. C-section, I'm crunchy. Unless absolutely necessary, as determined by multiple doctors/nurses not just one to make it easier and more profitable to the hospital. As far as the pain meds, give me the loopy drugs! I had a doula for Leila's birth (even though I forgot her phone number when I went in to be induced - at 41 weeks might I add) and was hoping to avoid pain meds. I ended up getting the epidural at the last possible moment and wish I hadn't. I will NOT be getting an epidural this time around and will be looking for the best, most safe loopy drug.
Diapers - Crunchy. Since I will be staying at home with Liam, we will be using cloth diapers while at home and disposables in the evenings, when out or traveling/visiting. That is the plan to start anyway - may turn into a full time thing.
Natural Family Planning - Not Crunchy. I'm not a big fan of pumping my body full of foreign, lab-produced hormones but don't trust NFP or myself to keep up with it.
Breastfeeding - Crunchy! I will absolutely be nursing again this time! Knowing that I plan on nursing, I can better prepare and takes steps to keep my supply up. I'm all for self-weaning but would prefer it be not too long after solid's start (6 months).
Co-Sleeping - Crunchy. We co-slept (ok, still do) with Leila. Yeah, I know, we're working on it! With Liam, we've got the Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper so he will be attached to our bed, within arms reach, but in his own space. Primary reason for cosleeping for us is a: we're paranoid freaks! and b: more convenienent with my nursing.
"Wearing" - Crunchy. I had and loved my sling with Leila and will use a sling (basic ring sling) with Liam. (thank you Echo for the homemade one you gave me!)
Organic/Veg Diet - Semi Crunchy. Not vegeterian although our diet has A LOT of fruits and vegetables. Organic as often as possible but nothing overboard. I wish we had a good Farmer's Market here that I could by fresh from local growers!
Medicine v Herbal - Semi Crunchy. With the ban on cold medicines and such for kids under the age of 6, what choice but herbal/homeopathic remedies are there? Other than Tylenol and Motrin for fever, Leila didn't get a whole lot of anything. She also wasn't a very sick kid though.
Vaccinations - Not crunchy. Although I do have my doubts and held off on a few for Leila, I do believe that vaccinations, as a whole, are good things and have prevented hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of deaths. That being said, I research each one in depth and do not like the combination of vaccines. I know they're trying to make it easier (less trauma to the poor babies, less visits to the doctor for shots, less to transport and keep in stock at the doctors, etc), but easier isn't always better. I do not like new vaccines and those get the most scrutinizing from me!
Homeschool - Not crunchy (yet). At this current point in time, I know myself well enough to know that I don't have the patience or discipline to home school. However, I don't know that the public schools are given all the time and resources necessary to help every single child be their very best. So many kids fall through the cracks - those that can't keep up and those that aren't challenged enough.
Positive Discipline - Crunchy. My opinion on this is based solely on my experience with Leila, a child who has never had a time out, had less than a dozen spankings in her 5.5 years of life, only thrown two tantrums worth remembering, and, well you get the point. I realize every child is different and we may have to change our tactic with Liam, but will still try to remain to use positive discipline as much as possible. Now, we just need to work on keeping that positive discipline from turning into bribes!
TV - Semi Crunchy. We don't allow the TV to babysit but do allow TV watching, as long as it is productive and educational. Leila is to the point now where she has Barbie and Disney movies, but even those have good stories and morals to them.
So, I'm thinking that I'm a pretty crunchy mom! And ya know, I'm pretty darn proud!
No comments:
Post a Comment