In economics, a monopoly (from Greek monos , alone or(from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly)
single + polein , to sell) exists when a specific individual or enterprise has
sufficient control over a particular product or service to determine
significantly the terms on which other individuals shall have access to it.[1]
Monopolies are thus characterized by a lack of economic competition for the good or service that they provide and a lack of viable substitute goods.[2] The
verb "monopolize" refers to the process by which a firm gains persistently
greater market share than what is expected under perfect competition.
Where we live, Millington Telephone Company provides our home telephone, high speed internet (via their sister company Millington Cable - Xipline) and were it not for satelite dish, we would have their cable television service. They also have BigRiver Internet service, DSL.
Before we moved here, I had gone online and got all set up with BellSouth for a bundle - phone, internet, TV for our new house - only to find out that they didn't service our area. Go a few miles north and they do. So, I was turned on to Millington Telephone Company - my first introduction to small town business. I called to get everything set up so we would have phone, internet and tv when we arrived - wouldn't have to wait. I was told I had to come in to the office to do it. Uh, I was in CA! They had nothing online, couldn't fax or email...nada. HAD to come in to the office!
So, first day here after signing the papers for the house, off I went to MTel and got our phone set up. They didn't have the cable wires run down our street yet (new neighborhood) and didnt know when it would be. Knowing we couldn't live without TV, we opted to go with DirecTV. For internet, we signed up for their BigRiver DSL ($60/month). I did get their long distance but was looking for something better than their 7 cents/minute. I called MCI, AT&T and was told they could not provide anything better than 7 cents, not even their advertised 5 cents (because there is a disclaimer on those ads, "where available"). The AT&T guy said they couldn't because of who was currently servicing the area. That was my first clue that we were screwed with this company.
As soon as they ran the fiberoptic wires in our neighborhood for cable internet, we jumped on that. The DSL was terrible - always going out - and the cable cost $15 less per month than the DSL.
So, here I am seeing all these ads for bundled services - like we had and LOVED in San Diego through SBC. We're currently paying MTel/Mill Cable approximately $100 per month for local and long distance phone service and cable internet and DirecTV another $70 for TV.
I want AT&T's Triple Pack! Home Phone, DSL Internet and DirecTV for $100 (+/-)!!! Heck, we'll even take the 4th option of cell service!!!!
But, nope. Can't do it. AT&T doesn't (can't) service our area.
901/837-xxxx AT&T Local Service is Currently Not Available
NOBODY CAN except the Millington Telephone Company's.
So, we're stuck, like everyone else in MTel's coverage area.
So, tell me how this does not make them a monopoly? Let's review.
In economics, a monopoly (from Greek monos , alone or single + polein , to sell) exists when a specific individual or enterprise has sufficient control over a particular product or service to determine significantly the terms on which other individuals shall have access to it.[1] Monopolies are thus characterized by a lack of economic competition for the good or service that they provide and a lack of viable substitute goods.[2] The verb "monopolize" refers to the process by which a firm gains persistently greater market share than what is expected under perfect competition.
BigRiver($60/mth) and Xipline ($45/mth) are the ONLY high speed internet options - both from MTel companies. Wait, I take that back. There is that HughesNet satelite internet huh? Yeah, because who needs internet when it gets stormy. It's bad enough the DirecTV goes out when a dark cloud goes over! haha
Telephone Service: Millington Telephone is it. But I'm sure you're thinking, "But wait, what about Vonage?". You need a high speed internet connection for that - dee dee dee....only available from Mtel!
So, I googled and found
"...the fact that in oral argument presented to the court, the plaintiffs' attorney acknowledged that the cable TV franchise in question is a nonexclusive franchise. Therefore, as such does not involve a monopoly..."
http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/758/758.F2d.653.84-5097.html
And
"Q. What is a non-exclusive franchise?
It usually refers to a municipality which offers a contract to a
garbage-collection or other municipal service. Some such contracts are exclusive
-- the company has the sole right to collect garbage, for example. Other such
contracts grant non-exclusive franchise rights -- the company has a right, but
not an exclusive right, to collect garbage, for example. "
http://www.wsicorporate.com/article/non-exclusive_franchise
So, Munford, as a municipality must be in contract with MTel for these services to their residents. I'm sure it has it's benefits...Mtel maintains the poles & wires throughout the town? financial kick-backs to the city of Munford?
I'm sure, like anything in life, there is more going on behind the scenes. My issue is with the fact that we do not have a choice! We HAVE to pay whatever MTel says we need to pay and can't do squat about it - other than go without!
Like city garbage collection - add $10 to everyone's utility bill and pick up everyone's garbage every week. City of Munford should get in to a contract with one of the garbage collection and do it! It will keep trash from being piled up alongside people's houses allowing stray dogs (another problem here) to get into it and make a mess of the neighborhood.
Only do it within the city limits, like Covington does! Provide everyone with a fancy Barker Brothers trashcan (and those that pitch a majorly huge fit about it can opt out and NOT get a fancy trashcan! haha). Take it one step futher and set an example to the neighboring towns and get with a garbage collection company that will collect recycleables too! Give us an ugly green trash can for trash and a pretty blue trash can for recycleables. Pick up trash on one day and recycleables on another. Encourage people to recycle!!!! Set an example!
Totally going to email the Mayor about that one! :)
Ok, now back to my Farm Town! (I addicted to this stupid game on Facebook!) haha
2 comments:
We have MTel. And though we never, ever use our landline, it went up $1 last month.
And I don't know why.
We have the phone because we need it for our ADT, our PPV through DirecTV and emergencies (kids to call 911 if Darin has a reaction and I'm not here). We don't have any of their other ridiculous services, though, for the monopoly factor.
I hear they were grandfathered into something. I don't know.
Is it not something the newspaper has ever investigated? Or is it one of those touchy topics we (you all - I've got to get used to not being a part of it anymore haha) don't touch?
Get Sherri on it!! haha
You wanna sell some papers, get a following, bring down MTel! haha You know the Star would never do it...they ARE Millington!
Post a Comment