So, Liam isn't even 5 months old yet and already I find myself going a wee bit insane staying at home!
I'm in desperate need of some adult interaction and not just mom's to talk mom stuff. I mean, I'd love to hang out with other moms because we'd relate on more levels than a non-mom but I don't want to sit around and talk about mommy stuff - the babies, their milestones, their toys, their daily routine. I have my CafeMom Message Board for that stuff! Plus, I'm IN that ALL DAY, EVERY DAY...staring at it's beautiful little face!! I don't want to talk about life, bills, what's for dinner or how much we hate laundry! haha
I want to talk about the world, the economy, the community, what's on TV, new movies coming out, music, etc. I want to have intelligent adult conversations like you would expect to have at work - with sprinkles of your children here and there (because you can't NOT talk about them!) - but primarily about everything else! lol
I have watched the entire 12 hours of the WWII in HD (but not in HD. haha) on the History Channel. I just spent two hours browsing through a handful of inaugural and state of the union speeches from various President's. I'm only increasing my dorkness, aren't I? haha And it's not Josh's fault he has absolutely no interest in history! lol But I have nobody to talk to about it! It's interesting to me and nobody cares (so it seems!).
I didn't used to like reading...now I find myself reading every word of my Business Ethics book (which isn't even required - it's just interesting!). I've got an Amazon cart FULL of books I'd like to read (waiting on payday to hit "CHECKOUT!" - most pertaining to business because I'm just psycho that way!
Since I'm not in a work environment, I can't learn and grow through it. I'm not gaining any experience sitting on my butt. So the least I can do, in addition to finally getting my BS Business (HR Mgmt), is try to educate myself on the ways of the world of business to help me understand, cope and grow in my future endeavors.
When I do return to work, I refuse to jump head first into a company/position that will only lead me to a brick wall with nowhere to go but out. I don't like to stay in one place long doing the same thing day in and day out. I'm a sponge, I soak it in, master it and am ready to move on to the next challenge! I don't enjoy one topic or genre of music for very long. My tastes are always changing (except in men...I love my Joshie!)! I'm always looking for something bigger, better, different and more challenging!
In a previous post I mentioned how I want to know as much about everything as I can! Fortunately for me, my memory allows me to retain a lot of useless information for future reference! So, I want to take advantage of it and pack it full...and not with useless information (like President Washington's Inaugural speech, or what little of it I understood anyway) but with business information that will benefit me in the future.
I use past experiences to gauge what I need to work on, where my weaknesses are (and boy do I have a lot of them), where I need to grow and what I need to do to ensure I take a more appropriate route next time.
I will not be used and abused, trampled and intimidated. I will not allow my gender to get in the way of ANYTHING...I don't care if I AM in the south where sexism is alive and well. I will no longer bite my tongue but instead say what I'm thinking when I think it. I will not mistreat people or take advantage of them the way I have been for years. I will treat everyone fairly and equally, no matter what. I always have been and will continue to live by and (attempt to) instill that honesty is the best policy. I will show appreciation to those deserving of it. I will not be bullied by anyone, no matter how long you've worked there or how old you are...age is just a number and years of experience doesn't always equate to SQUAT!
I will forever maintain my belief in honesty and customer service and that without it, a business will fail. Without putting customer's first, anticipating their reactions and moves, you have nothing. A successful business is not only determined by the numbers on the financial statements but by the value of the name. If your name is tarnished so too is your business. And the quickest way to tarnish a good name is to tick off the employees and/or customers. DUH! I knew that much about business when I was 18!!! And somehow, 40 year olds with 20+ years of experience haven't figured that out. CEO's don't seem to understand (or don't care?) about that simple concept.
I just don't understand it!
I am Kimberley, hear me ROAR! :)
I would LOVE the opportunity to be in a position of high management in a small business with a company that shares those values. I honestly don't think I'm cut out or meant for the big, corporate world. I've never worked in the big, corporate world so I don't know for sure. I've worked at Spencer Gifts as Assistant Manager when I was 18 yrs old - a company that completely understood and instilled in me the extreme value of customer service. I've also worked at local, small town community newspapers. I've seen a locally owned and operated paper and a corporate run paper. I've seen a corporate run paper with little involvement in daily operations and one with too much involvement. I've worked with a large staff and a small staff. I've worked with and without the guidance of a publisher. I've used stone-age systems and modern systems. I've seen good managers and bad managers. I've seen a company without a motto or goals and I've seen a company with a a motto and goals throw them right out the window.
Those of you who are from around here know where I've worked but I bet you can't guess which side of each of those statements describes which paper/company! Both papers I worked for went through dramatic changes in the time I was there - major restructuring, personnel changes (some good and necessary, many bad for the well-being of the paper), operational changes, etc. In my three short years in the newspaper industry, I've been fortune enough to experience A LOT!
It is VERY tempting to start my own newspaper, knowing what I know now about what works and what doesn't! I bet, even at only 26 years old armed with only 3 years experience in the industry and a degree, I could a pretty darn good job. And no, I'm no being conceited. I'm confident. I'm confident in my knowledge of the industry. I confident in my knowledge of business in general. I'm confident in my understanding of these small towns. For the first time in a very long time, I am confident in myself and my business abilities!
Would I ever return to one of those two papers? Not likely. A LOT would have to change at higher levels and in today's economy, that isn't going to happen. The upper management levels are only looking for a quick profit to please investors, not concerned with the longevity. Employees are viewed as just employees, easily replaced, completely blind to the fact that, in many cases, those employees that are just an expense on your books are what make your business what it is! How many of you follow your favorite hair stylist around to all the different salons she goes to? How many of you have a favorite waiter at a restaurant (that isn't all that good) but their pleasant personality makes it tolerable? This isn't just in the newspaper industry though. Everywhere you turn you see poorer customer service, undervalued employees, less qualified individuals and higher prices. Sorry, but if you treat me like poo and overcharge me for a meal, you will NOT be getting my repeat business and the words coming from my mouth will not be pleasant (don't ever doubt the power of word-of-mouth advertising/bashing)!
Ok, so maybe it's the insanity of being at home all the time playing with a 4.5 month old that has me thinking I'm super business woman all the sudden. But on the other hand, maybe it's having the opportunity to take a step back and really evaluate my past experiences, and my goals and aspirations that hes let me to this revelation!
In any case, I cannot wait to get back into the workforce as the new and improved, wiser and stronger, "ain't takin' no crap from nobody" (how'd you like that TRIPLE negative?! lol) Kimberley!
:-D
1 comment:
Post a Comment